The Commission carried out an electoral review of Hackney between February 2012 - November 2013. The aim of the review was to deliver electoral equality for voters in local elections and recommend ward boundaries that means each councillor represented approximately the same number of electors.
Our review aimed to ensure that each Hackney councillor represented roughly the same number of voters and that ward boundaries reflected the interests and identities of local communities.
Recommendations become law
The Hackney (Electoral Changes) Order 2013, to implement recommendations made by the Local Government Boundary Commission for England (LGBCE) for new boundaries in Hackney, was made on 30 October 2013 and was published 4 November 2013.
New ward arrangements for Hackney have now successfully completed a 40 day period of Parliamentary scrutiny and will come into force at the local elections in 2014.
The order for Hackney can be viewed through this link.
Draft order laid in Parliament
On 18 July 2013 the Hackney (Electoral Changes) Order 2013 was laid in draft in Parliament.
The draft order if made would give effect to the final recommendations that were consulted on during the Local Government Boundary Commission for England's review of electoral arrangements in Hackney and published on 26 August 2013.
The draft order will be laid in Parliament for a period of 40 sitting days. Parliament can either accept or reject our recommendations. If accepted, the new electoral arrangements will come into force at the next scheduled elections for Hackney in 2014.
The draft order can be viewed through this link.
The draft order refers to a map. The map comprises the following sheets:
- Sheet 1 - Overview of the district (PDF)
On 16 April 2013 we published final recommendations for future electoral arrangements in Hackney. These are available through the links below.
- Summary of the report (PDF)
- Letter sent to the Chief Executive of the London Borough of Hackney (PDF)
- Read our news release
- An overview map of the final recommendations (PDF) is available. Please note this map is very large and may take some time to download.
Further consultation in Hackney
On 8 January 2013 the Commission began further limited consultation in Hackney. At its meeting on 11 December 2012 the Commission decided to undertake further consultation in response to the views put forward during the draft recommendations consultation. The Commission proposed to make three substantial changes to the plans it put forward last year and residents were invited to have their say from 8 January 2013 to 19 February 2013.
A letter sent to the Chief Executive of Hackney Council (PDF) and our public news release provide more information on the review.
The limited consultation focused on three parts of Hackney where the Commission proposed to alter its draft recommendations for new ward boundaries.
- In Hoxton and Shoreditch, the Commission proposed two three-member wards called Hoxton East & Shoreditch alongside a Hoxton West ward instead of the three two-member wards originally proposed for the south west of the borough. View a map of these proposals (PDF)
- In central Hackney, the Commission made several changes to its original proposals for the boundaries between the proposed Dalston, Hackney Central and Shacklewell wards. View a map of this area (PDF)
- In the north east of the borough, the Commission proposed to change its draft recommendations to include a three-member Cazenove ward bordered by a three-member Springfield ward. This proposal replaces the Commission's original recommendation for a three-member Stamford Hill East ward and a three-member Upper Clapton ward. View a map of the new proposals (PDF)
The Commission's final recommendations for new warding arrangements in Hackney were due to be published in December 2012.
On 17 July 2012 we published our draft recommendations for the further electoral review (FER) of the London Borough of Hackney. These can be found using the links below.
- Draft recommendations for Hackney Council (PDF)
- Summary of the report (PDF)
- News release on the draft recommendations for Hackney
- Letter sent to the Chief Executive of Hackney Council (PDF)
Map of the area recommendations:
Please note: this map may be large and take some time to download.
Consultation closed on 24 September 2012
To interact with the draft recommendations mapping visit our consultation portal. You can view both the existing and proposed boundaries, searching by area or postcode.
You may find the electoral figures for Hackney (XLS) useful when looking through the draft recommendations.
You may wish to read our document Electoral Reviews: Technical Guidance (PDF), which contains detailed guidance on the review process and information on the legislation reviews are carried out under.
On 15 February the Commission launched a period of information gathering with Hackney London Borough Council. From 15 February 2012 to 20 April 2012 we invited Hackney Council and members of the council to provide information to develop a new pattern of ward arrangements for Hackney.
Preliminary council size consultation
The Commission will be starting an electoral review of Hackney in 2012. As part of the preliminary process we consulted with Hackney Council on the most appropriate council size (the number of councillors on Hackney Council). We received two submissions on council size.